Sunday, January 1, 2023

Genealogy Goals for 2023

 



It's a new year, and time to set my genealogy-related goals for 2023. 

I wrote very little in 2022, but somehow still managed to address most of the goals I set at the end of 2021. In the past year, I've continued genealogy consulting and plan to extend that work into 2023. This is the time of year when friends are buying DNA tests on sale, so I hope to help them with their corresponding family trees once their results arrive. I also just rescued another old family album full of identifiable photos, and look forward to researching those pictured and returning the album to a family member. While this blog was largely neglected last year, I did write a three-part series about notable relatives that I had hoped my children would find interesting. They didn't, really, being young and generally uninterested in family stories at the moment, so I will happily return to writing about the wonderful "average Joes" in our tree.

In 2022, I also pulled all my Lacey family posts from this blog and started compiling it into a sourced document that could be emailed to relatives. This is taking a long time. Everything needs to be reformatted, and I'm trying to expand and add more detail wherever I can. This has led to some additional research and the need to create graphics and mini-trees. The project will definitely extend into 2023.

Here are my genealogy goals for the coming year:

1. Continue compiling my posts about the Lacey family into a small book that I can share with other family members. 

2. Continue my consulting work and my hobby of rescuing old family albums.

3. Post more often. I may be using some prompts from Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks to try to write shorter, more frequent posts and address some as-yet-unmentioned ancestors.

4. Figure out my search engine issues. It turns out that Google is not indexing this blog and most of it doesn't appear in Google searches. I've done a deep dive into SEO and acquainted myself with the Google Search Console, but the issue remains. It may just be that this little blog doesn't get enough traffic to register, but it's also not very useful if people can't find it when they search for family names. If anyone reading this has any tips, I'd be very appreciative. Resolving this issue is a big 2023 priority.

I have high hopes for 2023 and look forward to lots of travel and family fun. My local genealogy society is meeting in person again, so I'm excited about seeing them face to face after far too long. 

May you all have a wonderful year!

No comments:

Post a Comment