Friday, January 1, 2021

Genealogy Goals for 2021

 


Each year I write down genealogy-related goals for the upcoming year, and usually many of those goals get carried over into the next year, because I never have enough time to get everything done. If I can find a bright spot in the absolute dumpster fire that was 2020, it's that I had more time to focus on this blog and on family history work. Three of the four goals I set were accomplished, and the fourth is an ongoing project that is coming along well. 

In 2020, I switched from focusing on my maternal lines to my paternal lines. I started with my third-great grandparents, Bartley and Judy Lacey of Rossadillisk, Ireland, and tried to trace every single one of their descendants. This was nearly a year-long project in itself, but a really fascinating and rewarding one. I plan to continue some of this work, and also branch out into exploring other parts of my father's family tree.

One of my goals for 2020 was to start regularly attending the meetings of our local genealogy society again. I did until March, when everything had to stop. However, the board of our society did an amazing job immediately pivoting to online meetings, and I think it's been a great thing for the group. So many more people are able to attend now, and as our meetings are open to all, new faces from societies outside the immediate area are joining in, too. Our society records online meetings, so if you miss one, you can watch it later. I wish I could see everyone in person, but am grateful that the online format means I never miss a meeting anymore.

I have so many plans and goals for 2021 and hope everyone will get vaccinated so we can start living the lives we want to live again. Here are my genealogy goals for the coming year:

1. Compile my posts about the Lacey family into a small book that I can share with other family members. I'd like to add more details and get facts properly footnoted, so this will be a significant project. I would also like to reach out to some descendants from other Lacey lines to share this information.

2. Continue organizing my family history materials. I created a great closet space for everything this year, but still have a lot of scanning and filing that needs doing. 

3. Start writing about a new family line. I am thinking about creating some posts about my Dutch ancestors, the Beukenkamp family. 

4. Revisit my research on my Dwyer and Coleman ancestors in Australia. I'd like to see if I can find any updates on those families. This is also a body of research I should compile into a small book and share with relatives.

More than ever, please stay safe and well. I hope that by this time next year, the worst will be long behind us, and the world will seem like a more familiar place.


No comments:

Post a Comment