Tuesday, January 3, 2017

My 2017 Genealogy Goals



As we enter 2017, I am trying to put the chaos of the last couple of months behind me and get refocused.  I have done absolutely no genealogy work since October, and I'm eager to get my head back into my research and this blog.  Part of that process is sharing my genealogy-related goals for 2017, as I did in 2016, 2015 and 2014.  Doing this helps me stay focused on my top priorities throughout the year.

I made a lot of progress on my goals in 2016.  I was finally able to prove the parents and grandparents of my second great-grandfather, John T. Griffin, a task I've been working on for several years.  I also did quite a bit of blog writing and finally managed to organize all the paperwork and documents I inherited from my grandmother.  Unfortunately, I still cannot seem to make any headway on the origins of my fourth great-grandmother, Nancy Matthews Burns.  I also need to spend more time looking at the paperwork on my Smith ancestors and make sure I have those individuals correctly inserted in my tree.

Here are my top priorities in 2017:

1. ORGANIZE
But wait, I did so much organizing in 2016!  Well, I think we all know that task is never complete.  I still need to get all my grandmother's photos scanned and properly archived.  I also need to scan and transcribe a series of letters that are on loan to me from my mother's cousin.  

2. REVIEW
Remember that great trip I made to the New England Historic Genealogical Society?  I'm embarrassed to admit that I still have not completely gone through the notes and scans I made during that visit.  One of my goals this year is to review all the information I found in the library and get it inserted into my tree and files.  I also need to sit down with my previous posts on my Murray ancestors and clear up some inaccuracies that have emerged since I wrote them.

3. SMITH
I am due to write about this family line on my blog, but feel that I don't know as much about them as I should.  My goal is to really dive into the paperwork I've been given by a Smith relative and wrap my head around this family.  It should be pretty interesting.  As cousin Barbara tells me, apparently my sixth great-grandfather, Capt. Samuel Smith, was a Tory sympathizer during the American Revolution who spent time in prison for his pro-England stance.  Scandal!

More 2017 excitement:

1. Possible museum exhibition
2017 is the 100th anniversary of my great-grandfather George Rutherfurd's military service, which began with his training at the Presidio of Monterey.  I had a very fun meeting with two historians at the Presidio of Monterey Museum last fall about potentially contributing to a special exhibit focused on World War I.  I have lots of photographs and memorabilia from George's time in Monterey, and I'm hoping it might be useful to the museum if the exhibit comes together.  Side note: I want to hang out with historians all the time. It is so fun to meet people who geek out over the same things you do.

2. Blog writing seminar
My genealogical society has kindly invited me to give a talk on blog writing for genealogy.  I've given talks to local groups in the past on using social media to further your genealogy research, but talking specifically about blog writing will be exciting.  I'm very passionate about showing people how writing a blog can connect you with new cousins and helpful information, as well as preserving your work for future generations.

Happy New Year!  





No comments:

Post a Comment