Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Welcome



Welcome to Know Their Stories. I hope you enjoy reading along.

I started this blog in an effort to share the family history research I’ve done, and the photos, letters and documents I’ve inherited from family members.

In the years before my Grandma Smith died, we spent many long afternoons talking about genealogy and looking through family albums. These special dates were something we both enjoyed enormously. My grandmother had worked for decades to research our family’s history, and I learned so much from her about our ancestors. Every genealogist hopes that the next generation will provide someone to carry their legacy and further their research. I promised my Grandma that I would be that person. She treated me to all her family stories and dearest memories, and entrusted me with the letters and photos that go along with them. So, now I have all this information, and I’m fulfilling my promise to share it as best as possible.

I’ve been asking myself for some time how to best communicate our history with my family. In the past, I’ve written some short family history documents and then emailed them around to cousins. However, creating those kinds of histories is very time consuming and I’ve only just scratched the surface. I’m hoping that a blog format will enable me to get more information out to family in a shorter period of time. I’m also hoping it will be interactive, and allow family members to ask questions and share their own memories.

My goal for this blog is to share what I’ve learned, share the photos and documents that were given to me, and create conversations about our family history. I will also be including posts about my husband’s family, since I’ve done quite a bit of work on his family’s genealogy, as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you want to know more about a particular family line.

Me with my Grandma Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment